Monday 4 May 2009

Taste of Norway part three (As taken from Facebook)

06 November 2008

Right. Done something today.
They say that the truth will set you free. In this case, it seems that the freedom set the truth.
While Ingrid was working her last day at work (shes between jobs), I decided to go on a little adventure into Oslo city centre.
Sounds simple enough.
Of course, after staring at a map in Toyan subway station for ten minutes, only to be joined by two Italians who were just as stuck, just to realise any train would do!
Oh well.
Oslo city. What could I honestly say about the place, based on a comparison to my blessed dearest Liverpool. I'll break it down.


  • No scallies. Thats right. None, though there were other problems, see below.

  • Poverty. It took me a while to notice that Oslo has a massive influx of immigrants living homeless on the streets while they find work in the docks or move on. They are hard to work because they dont hassle you for money for drug habits (like I said, comparison to Liverpool).

  • Politeness. There are few zebra crossings as such. No need, as traffic always stop if someones waiting to cross. Its strange to me, used as I am to evading cars Jason Bourne fashion. I even witnessed a car performing a perfect emergency stop just to let someone cross!

  • Impoliteness. Two sides to every coin. While the roads might be safer to cross, the people of Oslo seem nonplussed with making way out of politeness. Not once did I hear excuse me, or thank you or anything (yes, even in norweigan). Apparently, after asking around, this is because such things are reserved for family and friends and as such mean MORE to them than it does to us. Apparently while we see the Norse as being cold, they see us as being insincere our politeness forced and not well meant. They may have a point.


  • ANyway, to end it off. I walked around, seeing many similar yet different things. Norwegian touristy shops owned by foreign nationals, bus's that look and feel like trains (except they corner on a penny!), nearly everybody knows two languages! Barely any litter on the streets and the bins seem always just changed. Graffiti, is scarce by comparison.
    Everything seems to cost more, which I reflected as I walked (talking to myself- something I should get checked I think), makes you appreciate every purchase. Back home, I realized how many things I waste and buy without using. Food here is more expensive, despite the fact that condoms are cheaper (Priorities oh government of mine?).

    Still, I saw the Fjord from its edge, and walked up the bizarre roof of the opera house. Half frozen solid, it was still a fantastic view from the top. The sun is so low here! Heh, getting down was almost as much fun!

    Well that's it for today. Bit more thoughtful than usual I grant you, but I calls em like I sees em.
    And tomorrow, or" i morgen" Ingrid is off and taking me to see the defense museum! So, I'll be happy then :)

    Miss you all!
    Let me know how you are!
    Rik.
    x

No comments:

Post a Comment