Monday 4 May 2009

Taste of Norway part four (As taken from Facebook)

07 November 2008

Hello readers! Thank you all for the complements.

Anyway.
Today I discovered another lovely thing about Norway. The rain.
The temperature dropped today during the rain, which you could actually see turn to sleet!
Saw more of Oslo city, this time the other half as Ingrid showed me the civil defense museum. Got to see what gun my grandad used during the war. :). You can buy shell casings here as big as my forearm! Not to mention surplus materials at cheap prices. Don't think I could get some of those through British customs mind you. And they had three tanks (decommissioned I later worked out) decorating the area. T34, T72 and another rusky tank i think...

The dubliner, a gigantic pub much like the Irish pubs Oneil in Liverpool. Great food! If not expensive. 42 squid for two main course and two pints of Guinness (£7 a pint, well 1/2 liter). Like I said, food is expensive here, especially unhealthy and unnecessary food like chocolate (1.20 for a Mars bar equiv). Yet pastries the size of my hand are 80p!

Everything is in a way, rationed here. The basic mentality of the culture I believe must have been born from the early days where eeeking a living meant being sparse with everything. Even such things as smiles are few, but this is because they are worth more. Insincerity and begging are a big faux pa. If someone shakes your hand and says they are happy to meet you THY MEAN IT. Also, A gift here is a gift. Try and meet it and risk offending the other person. Its a gift, its not asking for something in return.

Damn it gets dark quick. Anyway, batteries running low and I cant be bothered running for the power cable. I'm on holiday!! Cant wait to see you all again. Noticed you are getting a lovely 10 degrees back home. Just hit Freezing here, literally.

Hvordan gaar det?
Rik

No comments:

Post a Comment