Friday 12 June 2009

NEVER ASK A NORWEGIAN FOR DIRECTIONS! (Unless their on a boat)...

Ahh, yes. I have finally got my damn Skatta Kort! (trans: tax card). Love walking down Schweisgate and seeing the building called Skatt. Mo, you would love it.

I digress. I recently discovered some wonderful facts:
  1. Anyone from an EA or EAU country (I think I got this right), gets an instant visa pass to get over for up to six months. Including a temporary tax and personal code. Yay.
  2. You dont need the whole work permit until you actually acquire a permanent job, as opposed to seasonal work etc.
  3. NORWEGIANS CANNOT GIVE DIRECTIONS!!!!!!
Allow me to explain the last factoid as I want to get this off my chest.

I was looking for the place where I acquire my work permit. Think like a job centre. Only I was told by a reliable source (humph), that this was simply the local police station (aka politihuset or sumin). Heres what happened.

  • Police station No 1, Tøyen. Good man at reception gives me directions to a location which later turned out to be a good way away from his pointing hand. Think like 90 frakin degrees!
  • After wandering for an hour around Schweirsgate (ring a bell?), I walked along the road following his misguided instructions by looking on the right hand side of the road! Walked all the way into Oslo. On foot. Before giving up.
  • Went to the tourist informasjonen and pleaded my case while having Norwegian trolls tend to my feet blisters (though I suspect I was hallucinating. I hope so.), got map and marker to show me the way!
  • Went back to last location and following the map, stared at a building for some time wondering why such a service would be in an empty building which technically wasnt on the map to begin with! After asking in the local Kommune building, and waiting for fifteen minutes, I was told I was no where near were I needed to be. Showing the work permit forms I got another map marker and directions. I also got told it wasnt my fault I was British. Nice.
  • Neste! I followed the instructions to the UDi building in Olso Sentrum and found myself amidst asylum seekers and pleading failed immigrants. Lots of people, lots, and I lost count of the many languages and cultures there. After realising that I was going to be waiting for well, a day, I began reading leaflets. Lone behold! I found one saying ahem: "Any EA or EAU citizens may apply for work permits via the local police stations." Growling more than I probably should, I stormed out heading to the police station down the road. (The Udi building was actually the first set of directions I recieved apparently)
  • When I got there I was greeted by a fantastic young lady who calmly explained that I actually needed to go around the corner to the utenlander department wot not, but.... they were closed today....
  • Next day! (Three days in) I headed out nice and early and went in like a shot... to find out I was in the wrong place. I thought the english past time of dragging a policeman across the desk wouldnt have gone down well so I calmly followed his directions and made sure to kick a puppy on the way out. (What? I kid! It was a cat).
  • Following the next directions and trying not to get lost among the growing markers on my now very bone weary map, I found it. Right back on Scwheisgate. On the left side. I went in. I queued up and within a few moments I was sorted. Except I didnt need a work permit anyway...
If you think actually reading this tragic tale of a man in a strange land was hard, TRY DOING IT!

I believe that genetically, the races of Scandawegia (meh), have become so adept at seasmanship and sea navigation, that they have become completly inept at land based navigation. Much like in England, as our skills in drinking ourselves into footnotes of Darwins theory of natural selection (as in the "we wont be in the next chapter bit"), we become absolutly crap at well, all sports. Just look at Arsenal if you dont believe me.

Phew. Well I dont know about you, but I feel much better. SO...
If you are looking for directions in Norway (and you are on land), DONT ASK A LOCAL!
You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment