Thursday 18 June 2009

Boredom is the great enemy. (That and badgers...)

Bored. Very, very bored. I knew this was always going to be my greatest enemy here in Norway but how right I was I did not know.

I recently read an article on the "immigrant spirit" of Americas golden age. Back in the days of Ellis island and all that. Having read about the determination and single mindedness, it really got my zoom back. I suppose its all about attitude, and lets face it, English culture really emphasises the put down.

On the tooth front, I am gonna need two more Operations in August it seems. Got a temp filling that feels like tip ex in my mouth. Erk. Still, at least its sorted. For 4800Kr. Not too expensive considering the prices of the wonderful British NHS. Whats more interesting is the two apointments are not until August, so I guess its another reason to make sure this move works.

Leg in a bear trap. Nothing more motivating.

Yes, yes. Anyway, my pursuit of any form of job has taken an odd angle. As language is now virtually essential, I figured I might as well do something useful with my time (as opposed to watching TV, shudder), so I have been enquiring for voluntary work at local schools. Although at the moment Im sorting out some form of income, what I really want to do is start in the education stuff.

My first email went off today to the Oslo international school. I hope I can get some good exprience while Im not doing anything with my time! Wish me luck!

On other war fronts, Ive asked Ingrids mor, to help me with my listening Norwegian. Seems I can translate written easily enough but the hearng bit I lack practice in. I wonder if setting up a "language group" of friends could work? You know get a group of people at different levels all learing the lingo, come together each week to practice talking with each other. Sounds partly stupid, partly genius. "Stupius!"

So, anyone reading this who is in Oslo and likes the idea of a "language group" let me know. Or else please feel free to through critic at me like all the mash potato.

I miss mash potato...

3 comments:

  1. It is a bit of a bear finding work around here, especially without the language. I have a huge problem understand dialects and slang. Sverre speaks very formal Norwegian, as do his grandparents, his parents, and the aunt who lives above us. So people stopping me in the street and asking me questions using a loose style generally get gawked at. And then they look at me like I'm an idiot...sigh. Don't get me started on my brother-in-law...we've discovered the best way to communicate for now is to just smile and drink more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I was going to say, I've picked up a lot from TV. English shows subtitle (which can be a two-edged sword since the subtitles can be stiff, outdated language) but you can get an idea of what's being said. And then you can move on to the news, which is subtitled (either in Nynorsk or Bokmaal). I've found that reading along with the news is helping immensly. That's just my method, along with talking to Sverre more every day in Norwegian. Key: Don't have your lovely lady TEACH you. That can just lead to fights and frustration--let it be an organic thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Ill have to try that. For the moment my repatoir is more "advanced tourist." Still, Im getting a grammer book to help me out. ANyone can learn a new word, using it is the tricky bit.

    And yes, smiling and drinking more, I like both of these things :).

    ReplyDelete