Tuesday 11 May 2010

Where to begin.... Again. (Language rant)

It occured to me recently (About five minutes ago actually), that learning a language feels like running a circuit. Yeah, lets go with that analoge for now. That circuit represents all of the knowledge you can accumulate in say a month. If its too big, you will probably fall over and die of a heart attack (analogy!), so keeping it small at first is good: Say so many words, so many grammital wotnots etc. Once you can run that circuit you make it a little bigger.

Where am I going with this? Around in circles. But not it seems in a bad way. Many Language coarses prech repetition. Remember the lines you had to write on the board in school, a hundred times: I will not put an angry cat in teachers bag? (What just me?). What you might of experienced there was the most basic form of education, kinesthetic learning. IE learning by physically doing it. My late French teacher once said that all things could be memorised by three simple steps. Reading, saying and writing it down, over and over again. Unless you accidently become an adept scribe, great at copying written works without actually reading them, it should help. many special needs kids go through this and hell if it works for them it works for you.

But I digress. What am I ranting about now? I have been here for around 9 months now and counting. I have achieved arguable quite a lot in terms of language acquisition it seems. However, even now I still screw up the most basic of things.

Pose. Bag. Vil du få en pose? Would you like a bag? I say it a lot in my current job and dear god how I am sick of getting it wrong. Having a customer standing infront of you wondering god knows what. (Would you like a pause with that? Would you like a pussy cat?) The problem lies in the utterances. The vowel O can be said in many different ways thanks to many languages and dialects, slangs and candences. WTF eva. Where I come from, we don't use that particular vowel sound required to say the word bag in Norwegian!! So, I must practice making a funny face while I try to make that sound that my ears are not trained to hear and my mouth it seems is not trained to make. Yet there is hope. Today, my readers. I said it right. I did a little dance! Im telling my those who read my blog even. I dont expect any of you to understand but I kind of hope one day you might.

So what advice can I give from this experience? That those circuits I talked of always return to the starting block? That no matter how good you get, revision is required? hard truth Im afraid.

Try this. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/norwegian.htm

The guy to writes on this website has learned about 8 languages fluently and countless as a side project. But this page describes Norwegian and even lets you listen to the alphabet and those pesky dipthong thingies. Say them along as you hear it. Leave it a day, go back and see if you can say the letter sounds a minisecond before they do. Are you right? If you leave it another day do you get better?

Bottom line is, if you can remember the alphabet. You CAN learn the language.

/Rant.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Pose SUCKS. Kose is not much better. I am thinking you have the same problem with that sound as I do (ah English!) and I actually said one time that we were going to go home and pussy ourselves with a movie (Vi skal hjem og kose oss med en film). Frickin embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete