Tuesday 8 February 2011

A year and a half ago, I came to Norway. I made it.

Hi guys. Please accept the usual torrent of apologies from a bad blogger with too much time and too little to write about.

In truth, the only reason I am writing this right now is two fold:

One, a nice chap came over from Scotland and for some reason, after reading this Blog thought it would be wise to ask me for help getting settled. I hope I have, but the point is, he hasn't been the first.
Indeed, since making this poor excuse for a Blog I have been introduced to some like minded amazing people, who have for one reason or another (mostly the other) have emigrated to Norway. At the time, I began it simply because I couldn't find anything like it. It seems like I have filled a hole. I hope someone does a better job!
Anyway, I suppose what I am trying to say is that this gentleman reminded me of my duty (can I say duty?), to anyone trying to make that move. I have to keep writing. Even if I have finally begun to feel like I have made it here...

Two, I managed to find time to write this while working my new shiny job.

THATS RIGHT PEOPLE!

JOB! Now before anyone starts complaining, let me say this: After over a year of trying to cost as little as possible for a sweetheart who paid for my every basic requirement, working loads of odd and some unpleasant jobs just to get enough money to pay for the food, working as a cleaner and walking home after midnight twice a week in Winter no less...
You'd be happy too.
Or you would be stupid.

Allow me to explain. A few weeks back, I was walking down Karl Johan's gate, trying to ignore the shiny stuff in the shiny shops, when my phone rung.
One of the applications I had sent off had been well received. In fact, so much so that I was dragged in for an interview the next day and began work the day after. Unfortunately, they needed me early and I couldn't stop suddenly working my cleaning job, so I had to work both for two weeks. Tough but I'm sure you will agree, very worth it.

But what do I do??

Something called an Innkjøpsmeddarbeider. Which translates roughly (roughly mind) as import worker. I work in an office (after cleaning them it makes a refreshing and surreal change) and process and follow up on all the books imported from abroad. Its a tough job. I've had to learn a complicated computer system in Norwegian, so much so that when I had the option to switch it to English, I turned it down because I was too far gone. Plus, how hard would it have been to discuss the system with a Nord when all the terms where called something else.
Wierd.
It is after all, just a 6 months contract. It was either this or a permanent position as a cleaner. I'm not going to be so be so arrogant as to say I chose this job because it is less embarrassing. If you have worked in the "Renhold" sector in Norway you will discover entire immigrant families working in it earning more than my old boss in England. Whose laughing now eh? However, I needed something that could help me grow and quite frankly, I promised myself an office job.

Got one.

So have I "made it"?

Its a question which I've asked myself a lot these past few weeks. What does it mean to have "made it" in another land? When does this Blog become pointless?
I've learned a lot of the language. Enough it seems to do this job. It isnt fluent. It isnt even amazing (although many polite locals always impress that it is, they are just being polite sadly. Though its nice to hear.), but enough.
Regardless of if I get to keep this position or not, I have earned the contacts, the experience, and most importantly, enough money to invest in my future.
Im thinking of more language courses of coarse. But, my past experience with them is so bad, I wonder whether that would be just procrastinating on the problem.

I must admit that since Christmas, our Norwegian club has faltered and my own studies have pretty much stopped. I learn new words at work, though natural acquisition, but I know that I must soon get back on that wagon. It never ends. You just change the method you study.

Also, was it really that special? One big reason I came over was my girlfriend, who I met and ahem, fell in love with a while back. She really was responsible for much of my initial success, if not all by default. Without her I wouldn't have had a place to stay, nor a beginning for my "network" of friends and contacts. Hell, I wouldnt have even bothered if not for her. While not humble enough to cheapen my own efforts, it still points out something.
Moving over without friends/contacts is much much harder!


Money!?

Yes. Penger! After a brief scare with the student loans company, (they are really nice people once you get past the paper), I was relieved to be left with quite a bit of money just sitting in my bank. After months of becoming adept at costing so little, I couldnt think of a thing to spend it on.

What had happened to me!? Is this the "immigrant thinking" that I had heard about? Well, regardless, I had planned a holiday home. Though visiting my family, I think a shopping trip is in order. After all, everything is dear in Norway.



To sum up.
Because I don't know when I will post again, or what it will be about (Though any questions can be sent to me.):
If you are moving or thinking of moving to Norway, and you haven't got a special skill or whatever, it is still possible. Patience, determination, good friends and the right attitude. Its all you need.

This is me signing off, still undecided on whether I have made it in Norway.
Ill keep you posted.

:D

6 comments:

  1. It was nice to read about your stay in Norway. I am American with a Norwegian girlfriend. I am thinking about moving to Norway after our (Me and my girlfriends) schooling is done. I cannot agree with you more on learning Norsk. I have been trying for months to learn Norsk. Takk
    Your blog is very good. Keep up the good work like reading about the struggle of a English speaking person learn a new language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Is it a full-time job too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rumours of my death were greatly exaggerated.
    Lau! It isnt, but I did have a choice between this 6 month + possibly more Vs assured permanant job cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $$$ Loan apply now with 3% interest rate for more details $$$
    Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business? Do you need loan to pay off your debt and start a new life? You have come to the right place were we offer Loans at a very low interest rate of 3%. Interested people/company should please contact us via email for more details and get funded.
    Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

    Application For loan.
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Date Of Birth:
    Address:
    Sex:
    Phone No:
    City:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Country:
    Nationality:
    Occupation:
    Monthly Income:
    Amount Needed:
    Duration:
    Purpose of the loan:
    E-mail address:

    Email: shadiraaliuloancompany1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We Offer Loan At A Very Low Rate Of 3%. If Interested, Kindly Contact Us Today.via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete