Monday 1 November 2010

Studen Application denied!!!

Well, if I said that I was totally surprised, I'd be lying. But why? I mean, after all, I did have not one, but three people tell me it would all be fine. One, going so far as to say "you dont require a bergens test for this" in an email.

So much for that idea, but where does that leave me now?

Pessimistically: There are no relevant courses in Univeristy or College that I can take without a passed Bergens test to prove that I am adequate enough to taken them. Also, the only Masters Coarse I would be relevant to really, requires 50 more points to even bother applying.

Optimistically: If I consider that the Bergens test itself is not just a means to an end but a course in its own right, then I should consider myself a student in Norwegian. In a way, once again I must remind myself that the Bergens test or Norwegian as a whole, is the true key to unlock all those doors. SO really, I only have one thing to study on. Simple eh?

At the end of the day, I am lucky to have a loved one with endless generosity, patience of a walking saint and who gives me all the moral and financial support I need. I wont lie, every day I don't pay for everything is a shameful thing, this wasn't the way I was raised after all, but she calls me her little investment. The least I can do is not ruin that for her.


In any case. While I'm rethinking my long term plans (again), I can concentrate my efforts to get to that fluent level of norsk. After all, thats the only real problem, right?

I've nearly got all of my Attests from my old bosses, just one left who seems very evasive. Bear it in mind that to write such a reference is a legal obligation, even if it just says, "he worked this period" they still have to write one. Looks like I may need to be a bit more insistent. Le sigh.


Still, on goes the job hunt, I'm finally practicing the writing of søknader (applications) in norwegian by learning key words and expressions, you know, like I am dependable etc. After a while I might learn something. Flash cards, coarse books and that new norsk klubb should see me through. Ive given myself until April to do this.



On a final note, anyone living in the Oslo area who would like to get involved with a free friendly group all trying to learn norwegian, drop me a post here. I don't know about you, but I aint paying for another coarse if I can help it.

Thanks again!

Rik.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rik,

    Sorry to hear your study plans have not worked out yet. I'm sure things will work out eventually, I think things just take some time here and norsk is also very important.

    I've been in Oslo for about three months and am learning norsk. I would love to get involved in a norsk group. I've completed a six-week norsk course so far and plan to do more study at the voksneopplæring centre as well.

    Cheers,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realised that I missed the T in student. Ah well, rush jobs and all that.

    Andrew! Send me you phone details to my email at rikplumb@googlemail.com and we will work something out. Also, what level would you say you are at and what books do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey.. Sorry to hear that. Norwegian is tough to tackle, especially since it is so easy to get by in every day life with English. I'm just wondering though.. I am applying to the University of Oslo to the Masters program in Higher Education.. The Masters program is all offered in English- How stiff were the requirements to get into your program? And also, was your program in English... I guess what I am asking is, is the Bergens Test required for Masters programs offered only in English.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole!

    Sorry it took so long to reply! Only check this board so often. As far as I am aware, nearly all of the Masters are conducted in English. Though I believe some are in Norwegian. However, as is my understanding, only those special ones require the bergens test. (Something about selling the masters courses for foreign students).
    The requirements are quite stiff, I overheard some admin staff the other day talking about hoiw they recieved nearly 2000 applications on one day alone.
    All I can say is, as you can apply for many, do so. Think shotgun affect and take the best fit.
    On a last note, they only require 450pts off the bergens test, while 550 is the above average mark, read into that as you will!

    Good luck in anycase and let me know how it goes! PS, how good is your norwegian?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that. That's quite unfair to ask for Bergen test paper when you're applying for Master programme in English anyway. But hey, maybe more time to prepare for the test.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete