Wednesday 6 October 2010

Walls, hoops and a F#¤)ING big emergency cuppa!

Hi there sports fans.

Ever had a crappy revelation?

Picture this. Today I decided to research the possibility of studying a Masters in English Language with Oslo University. Today I found out that, of coarse, my micky mouse degree in Imaginative Writing didnt count for didly.

Damnation.

In essence, although Im looking into this, I would have to start from scratch with another new Bachelors beforehand. Thats a long time.

Okay, Ill back up a bit.

I decided a week ago, with no small amount of consideration nor sobreity, to become a teacher. No instant thing, I know, but it felt good to have an overall goal, ikke sant?
I had a GCSE and an A level relevant to English Language, and since the Masters in Oslo were in English, I figured that while my Norwegian continued to grow I could do something useful. And of coarse abuse the immensly cheaper Tuition costs here.

Sadly, my lazy past came back to haunt me.

Still, at least in a year or two I can take that Pedagogikk Bachelors, though Ive heard more conflicting opinions about how that works. One camp says I need another Bachelors beforehand, while others say I can combine it with another subject that say I want to teach.

More research pending.

In other news, the Norsk Klubb continues. Infact, after Ive finished this post and scoffed down a certain pizza that is cooking right now, Im off to the next session!

Jobs and work? Well my last day with Penelope was yesturday. I felt somewhat cold afterward. Almost like a good thing had ended, though Ive heard they will more than likely need me come December.
In the meanwhile Im plugging as many days back on the doors as I can without suffering adverse affects such as insomnia, hallucinations and a love of Twilight.

Shudder...

I've had some interviews recently (not been idle, not me!), and Ive discovered the need to scan and prepare both copies of all of my education and documents, but also an "attest" from all of my Norwegian jobs! A bit of digging, but apparently my employers must by law give me an attest (read - written reference). Doesnt have to be anygood, but they do have to give me one! :D

So while I wait for those documents to turn up, while I scan and research, I still can't help but feel like Im not doing anything useful.

Thankfully my girl Ingrid continually reminds me that:
a/ Im being stupid.


Love you baby. X

Lesson from all of this? Get a pen and a piece of paper:

1-Before coming over, scan all of your documentation regarding education.
2-Remember to ask for an attest from previous employers, even current ones.
3-Never give up.
Message ends.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, not sure if I've introduced myself here before...but I am Lisa, an American living in Hamar. I've been here for a bit and also see myself become a teacher (someday). I'm a waitress now.

    But I've done some research about all the requirements and whatnot and what I believe to be true is this: there are technically no requirements to be allowed to teach. So basically you could sub right now. If you combine PPU with the subject you want to teach (English for example) then you will be much more likely to get a job (probably the only way someone would actually hire you)and be able to teach older students. And of course, any additional education\degrees will make you more desirable and eligible for better pay.

    However, the one hurdle that I do believe you have to hop first is to take the Bergen's test ... have you come across that tidbit yet? I am pretty sure you have to pass that to get into most colleges. That's at least true with the college here in Hamar (EVEN IF YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE ENGLISH)!

    So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rik, nice to see you're still around and things are progressing! That's annoying that your degree supposedly isn't enough to study in Norway, but it might be worth asking other universities too as their standards often vary a bit. Everything Lisa said above is right.

    I also know that if you know enough Norwegian to get by teaching, then you can get supply teacher work at the very least. Here in Stavanger there's a shortage of qualified teachers and people with non-teaching degrees do work in teaching. There is hope, it just takes time to get going!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - sorry about barging in here. When I read your school dilemma I thought I could put my 2 cents in.

    My understanding is that you can apply to the UiO without getting your previous bachelors approved. Norway is very strict about accepting other countries degrees so the process of getting your papers approved is exhausting plus you need to take the Bergen test to prove your Norwegian skills. Zzzzzzzzzzz boring.

    A quicker and more direct approach is using the new reform rules which take into consideration your work and life experience. If you are over 25 years (maybe not?)and have worked for more than 5 years, you can apply to any school program with the 25/5 as your qualifications. A resume sent to the school with letters of reference and confirmation of employment should get you accepted into almost any program either to get your teaching certificate or build on to your bachelors.

    more info: http://www.uio.no/studier/opptak/realkompetanse/

    My experience is that it is quite easy to get a job teaching with or without a teaching certificate as a temporary worker (vikar). When they get to know you at the school they may offer to sponsor your teaching certificate while you work.

    But why would you want to be a teacher? It is by far the worst paid job in Norway. Although there is the appeal of the 15 hour work week.

    As for taking advantage of the "cheap" tuition in Norway, I have to say that you get what you pay for. A Norwegian public education is not worth much outside of Norway, especially a degree in English for a native English speaker.

    Sorry if I am a little pushy - I think my occupation is showing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Thanks for replying! Always suprises me on how many people are actually interested in what I get up to! Still, really nice to see I'm far from alone in this eventyr!!

    Thanks for the advice, although I think the realkompetanse only counts for five years work in Norway, its nice to know theirs a long term fix. Teaching seems to be a sore point in Norway, to be blunt, underpaid and in demand. If you think about it, its perfect for the likes of me. Besides, its still better being a teacher here than in England. Less stabbings and mutilations amid cries of "I was only messing!"

    For some reason, the enkleemne stuff in English doesnt require a Bergens test. Maybe its a hole in their net I dont know. Either way Im trying it out. Im still hoping to be going for my Bergens test sometime next april. Actually got a norsk klubb meet tonight!! Theres a thought, I wonder whose reading these posts who lives in Oslo and could help...

    Thanks to all for continuing or starting to comment, hope to do the same for you someday, though I believe you are better people than me :P

    And yes wifey, your occupation is showing beautifully. :D

    Takk skal dere har!!!

    ReplyDelete