Monday 3 August 2009

Further investment and THE PLAN....

Hello again.

Yes indeedy, after my very somber post last time things have once again began picking up! Although still jobless and with income from a very unreliable job, I still have faith in what I am doing. OK its more of a "leg in a bear trap" attitude really, but it works the same!

SO... what have I been doing, and what will I do next!

I just today, signed a moderate sum of money on a norsk kurs with Oslo Folkuniversitetet, trinn 2. Very delightful group of people, who tell me that not only can I back out before with only a 500Kr penalty, but I can also change level if it feels wrong. Not bad for private. Well, public charge 5000kr to the English, probably because they only want the smart money making ones. Ha! Try and stop meh!

This course though, digressing a tad, is on monday, tuesday, onsdag, and thursdag. err. You know what I mean. 48 hours of hard core Norwegian action. Four lessons a week from 1 OClock.

Just what I need. Heck, even my lovely girl Ingrid has started me on a diet of Norwegian TV! Also, my very own private teacher will be helping me get to a point where level 2 will be possible. I get a nice certificate after it too!
Lastly, with the remaining spare time I figure I will work voluntarily with the Salvation Army, and do my money earning football job in the evening. Ahhhhh Routine, where have you been!


I dare to reckon....... this will all put me in a place where getting a contractual job is possible, if not easy!
Well, nothings easy, else it wouldnt be worth it. Still, if my only problem is the language, then the answer is simple... the language must die.

Anyway, enough positive thumping from me, I'll be back soon with something a little more visual, and maybe something a little more bloggy!

Who knows?
Who knew?

Klem!

R

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rik! I found your site through Caroline's blog. I really understand what you're going through! I'm an American who moved to Norway three years ago with my English husband, neither of us with a job, and I didn't speak a word of norsk when I got here. What a struggle it's been! Up and down, up and down (and not in the fun way, heh heh). I got a job cleaning offices--still have it--and have spent three years learning the language (I'm old, so it takes longer..). I can hold a basic conversation now, yeah! You're lucky to have en norsk kjæreste you can practice with, although I know that situation has its own challenges. I used to think about moving home all the time but now I'm pretty happy here. Good luck with everything! I hope you get to stay. Look forward to reading about your further adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pep talk, you have no idea how much that helped! I am curious to how you went about getting your job in the first place with the language problem.
    So far my attempts have been largely ignored, but I think its more attitude than anything else. Everywhere I have asked, its always been about the language.
    Any tips?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got very lucky, I guess (if one considers getting a cleaning job lucky... :-> ). I met a girl in language class who got a job with a professional cleaning firm through an ad in the local paper (I don't live in Oslo; I live in a small town about 90 minutes south). She was moving and told me I should call her boss about possibly taking her job. The boss wasn't too concerned that I couldn't speak much Norwegian; he said if I ever got in a jam, just speak English. I think this is common with cleaning companies but, again, I don't know anything about Oslo. Cleaning isn't glamorous work but it pays the bills while I learn norsk, and I've met a lot of nice people. I'm not sure how you find this kind of work in Oslo. Check out finn.no maybe, look for rengjøring or renhold. You could directly contact renhold firms; look them up in Gulesider (rengjøringsfirma). Don't know if that helps...

    ReplyDelete